Saturday, June 16, 2018

NXT Takeover: Chicago II Predictions


   Before we had the chance to catch up from the last event, another Pay-Per-View weekend is upon us!  Since it is clear Money In the Bank has joined the top PPV's in WWE, a Takeover event has been attached to it.  Even if the care has not gone into Survivor Series in a long time, it's still an important show in WWE's calendar year.  However, now it's the "Big 5!"  Money In the Bank is tomorrow but it's time to focus on tonight.  It's time for NXT Takeover: Chicago II.  It's very rare that Takeover events don't deliver, even with matches that on paper not as many people are looking forward to.  I'm going to break down what I think will happen tonight and how it will impact NXT going forward.

Women's Title - Shayna Baszler vs. Nikki Cross
   Most would say that since Baszler defeated Ember Moon for the NXT Women's Title, we would be in for a dominant run by the Queen of Spades.  This is her first Title defense and I can't quite see her losing just yet.  Many people wondered why Nikki Cross was not yet called up with the rest of Sanity.  I think it's because the Women's Division took a loss when Ember Moon and the Iconics went up to Raw and Smackdown, respectively.  The women's division in NXT still needs credible challengers for Shayna and Nikki is certainly one of them.  She may not win tonight but she's someone people can take serious as a threat to Shayna's Title.  Cross has been playing mind games with the Champion as of late and that could be a factor.  I think eventually Kairi Sane will be the one to dethrone Shayna but in the mean time, we've got Nikki Cross and I'm sure the scrappy underdog Dakota Kai will get another shot one day.  In the end, I predict Shayna will retain tonight.

Ricochet vs. The Velveteen Dream
   If there's a match that could potentially steal the show, this is it! For several years on the Independents, we've seen the amazing things Ricochet can do.  His work as Prince Puma in Lucha Underground is also quite amazing.  Then there's the Velveteen Dream.  At first, I was not a fan of his character and didn't give him the time of day.  That is, until the build-up and match he had with Aleister Black last year.  The Velveteen Dream is the real deal!

   The Dream can play mind games with the best of them but Ricochet proved he can do the same.  The Gif to the left certainly shows that I and just had to put this in because it's one of the cooledt things I've ever seen.  These guys will go balls to the wall tonight and put everything on the line. It's going to be fast paced and exciting.  When the two first battled, the match was interrupted by Lars Sullivan, who beat the crap out of them both.  A week later, they battled him in a handi-cap match but a misunderstanding drew the Velveteen Dream to end his short-lived alliance.  I'm definitely excited about this match!  It could go either way but I expect the Dream get the win here, continuing their feud hopefully for at least another match.  If I'm wrong, certainly won't be unhappy.  I'll just say: All hail King Ricochet!

Tag Team Titles - Undisputed Era vs. Danny Burch & Oney Lorcan
   This match should be good as well.  This is third version of the Undisputed Era in tag team form.  When Bobby Fish went down with an injury, Adam Cole was forced to pull double duty at Takeover: New Orleans by first winning the North American Championship and then helping Kyle O'Reilly retain the Tag Team Titles.  In an unprecedented turn of events, perennial favorite Roderick Strong turned on tag team partner Pete Dunne and joined the Undisputed Era, ultimately becoming O'Reilly's Championship partner.  The team of Danny Burch and Oney Lorcan helped out Pete Dunne and since then have made an enemy of the Undisputed Era.  For some reason, I cannot get into Oney Lorcan at all.  I don't know what it is.  I do like Burch, as his matches in NXT and his participation in the UK Championship tournament made me a fan.  Either way, it should be great match tonight.  I'm not seeing a Title change tonight as you know Adam Cole and Bobby Fish could be nearby.  I think the winners tonight will certainly be Undisputed. 

Johnny Gargano vs. Tomasso Ciampa
   It's incredible that one year ago in the city of Chicago, a turn that can be compared to the breakup of the Rockers occurred, as Tomasso Ciamp turned on longtime friend Johnny Gargano.  Here we are a year later!  Gargano bested Ciampa in New Orleans in early April in a brutal match that deserved to main event the show.  I don't see this feud ending quite yet so I expect Ciampa to get the win, with a rubber match happening at some point down the road. However, I believe other factors will play into this.  There's the potential for Gargano's wife Candice LaRea to get involved but she's seemingly wiped her hands of the situation and wants no part of it.  As I said, I see Ciampa winning but it will be due to none other than NXT's resident top one-percenter, EC3.  During one of EC3's matches, Gargano interrupted to make a challenge towards Ciampa.  Though EC3 still won his match, there was a look in his eye that the situation didn't sit quite right with him.  In my opinion, a match between Johnny Wrestling and EC3 will take place in Brooklyn during SummerSlam weekend, possibly with it being a # 1 contender match for the NXT Championship.  At Takeover in November this year, I could see EC3 taking the NXT Title, while Gargano finishes Ciampa once and for all.  I'd love to see a mini-Royal Rumble for Takeover in January where Gargano wins and then finally defeats EC3 and wins the NXT Title during WrestleMania weekend.  I might be thinking a little ahead of myself but my final prediction for tonight is Tomasso Ciampa getting the win.

NXT Title - Aleister Black vs. Lars Sullivan
   Not since Andrade "Cien" Almas challenged for the NXT Championship have I been this disinterested in the challenger, though in time Almas proved me wrong.  Lars Sullivan is a large, intimidating presence but he does not do anything for me.  He's there to give Aleister Black a legit challenge.  The odds may be in Sullivan's favor, as he's been able to beat down his opponent, as well as block Black Mass, a move that Black has used to put down almost every other opponent he's had.  I definitely see EC3 as the next biggest threat to Black's Title reign in the near future.  Regardless of Sullivan's dominance, it would be unwise to call it a day for the Dutch Destroyer.  I believe Aleister will retain and Sullivan's Championship dreams will fade to black!




 If you have any further thoughts on this topic, let me know in comments.  Heck, let us all know on The WAR Report podcast, every Tuesday at 7PM EST on YouTube, brought to you by tagmeadate.com, the first and only dating site for wrestling fans.  Go to askthewarreport@gmail.com or #askthewarreport.  For TagMeADate members, our Android and Apple apps are vastly approaching so stay tuned!
https://tagmeadate.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment