Saturday, August 18, 2018

SummerSlam 2018 Predictions


   We're in for a long night!  Am I complaining about too much content in wrestling?  You're damn right I am!  There's a thing called "less is more" and WWE doesn't know how to execute this.  Now, I know I'm not obligated to watch the entire thing but still, there's way too many matches and it's just too long.  Three-hour Pay-Per-Views with a half-hour pre-show was the way to go.  Now, we have the PPV's starting an hour earlier, lasting an hour longer, with a two hour pre-show.  Not only that, there will most likely be a post-show as well.  I'm still of the opinion that Raw should go back to two hours.  Anyway, don't let this make you think I'm coming off too negative.  It's SummerSlam, a WWE tradition, the hottest show of the Summer!  With that being said, I'm here to give you my predictions.

KICK-OFF
Cruiserweight Title - Cedric Alexander vs. Drew Gulak
   I'll be honest, once all the Cruiserweights left Raw and went strictly to 205 Live, I don't have any idea what is going on in the Cruiserweight Division.  I don't watch 205 Live, mostly because after watching a three hour Raw and a two hour Smackdown, I get a little burnt out with wrestling.  I do make time for NXT but that's because I enjoy the format of the show.  I love Cedric and I feel like he's being wasted in the Cruiserweight Division, considering his talent.  These wrestlers are great and all, but when AJ Styles can do everything the Cruiserweights can do, how are they really set apart?  I enjoy Gulak's character and although I can see him taking the Title, I'm going with Cedric to retain.

Mixed Tag Team Match - Rusev & Lana vs. Andrade "Cien" Almas & Zelina Vega
   Rusev and Lana have been losing left and right thanks to the shenanigans of Aiden English, even though he often has the best of intentions.  Even though Andrade and Zelina may have gotten the upper hand on Rusev and Lana time after time, I'm pretty sure they're walking away with another victory here, likely due to another mess-up or possible intentional act from English.  It's not going to be a very happy Rusev Day, as I'm predicting their opponents walk out victorious.  I've heard rumblings about WWE wanting to move Almas up and he's gotten so much better since taking on Vega as his manager.  On the other hand, it feels like they're not capitalizing on the popularity of Rusev and Rusev Day.

Raw Tag Team Titles - The B Team vs. The Revival
   The B Team of Curtis Axel and Bo Dallas recently defeated The Revival and the Deleters of Worlds, in what was perhaps Matt Hardy's last match for a good while.  The Revival, now that both Scott Dawson and Dash Wilder are healthy, have been picking up steam and have earned themselves a shot at glory, something they did often in NXT.  I don't think the B Team project is over yet, though.  Plus, they pretty much just won the Titles recently.  Since The Miz left for Smackdown, the former Miztourage have been on quite a role.  I do think their reign is coming to an end soon but it's not The Revival that will dethrone them.  You'll see why later when I get to the rest of the card.  Not only that, but I can't see the B Team losing the belts so soon after they received their new Spirit Squad-esq music.  B Team, B Team, go go go!

MAIN SHOW
Money In the Bank Briefcase - Braun Strowman vs. Kevin Owens
   Since even before Braun became the Monster in the Bank, he has been at odds with Kevin Owens.  Though Owens technically won their last encounter, he sure didn't look like a winner when Braun threw him off the cage and through a table.  Now, Braun's briefcase is on the line.  While many expect a cash in tomorrow night, could it be Owens as the one to do it?  I don't really like when the briefcase is on the line, honestly.  Should Owens win, it makes me think, he should have just won Money In the Bank in the first place!  Braun doesn't really need it, as he is a threat all on his own.  As far as this match goes, I think Braun is picking up the victory but will not cash in.  He's still got time!

Smackdown Tag Team Titles - The Bludgeon Brothers vs. The New Day
   To me, as destructive and brutal as they are, I feel underwhelmed by the Bludgeon Brothers.  I dislike the gimmick and wish they never left Bray Wyatt's side.  The New Day have managed to get back into the Title race and have a good chance of dethroning the Bludgeon Brothers.  I don't see The New Day walking out with another set of Tag Team Championships, though.  I don't feel like WWE puts the effort into either tag team division, which makes me apprehensive about the possible addition of Women's Tag Team Titles.  When it comes to this match, I'm going with the Bludgeon Brothers.

US Title - Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Jeff Hardy
   Their first encounter when Nakamura won the Title was almost a non-match and with Randy Orton getting involved in Hardy's affairs, Nakamura continues to come out on top.  The weird thing is, though, with Hardy and Orton likely to have a match soon, where does that leave Nakamura, who is the US Champion?  With that being said, that means I'm picking Nakamura to retain, probably due to Orton.  As for what's next for Shinsuke, there's a possibility of a Triple Threat between him, Hardy, and Orton, but after that, who knows?  Who are some contenders for Nakamura?  If Daniel Bryan wins his match, I'm sure he'll be in line.  I hate to say this, but I really feel like they dropped the ball on Shinsuke.

The Miz vs. Daniel Bryan
   The story telling within this feud has been nothing short of fantastic and the video packages they put together on Smackdown pinpointing their feud really emphasize the hatred for one another.  In a way, Bryan has been acting more heelish, especially after that promo on Talking Smack that The Miz cut, in which the things he said were very accurate.  It's a very heated rivalry, one I don't think is ending at SummerSlam, no matter who wins.  In this case, I'm picking The Miz.  I feel they might continue this as some kind of redemption story for Daniel Bryan, possibly going with him to win the 2019 Royal Rumble and headlining another WrestleMania.  If that's the case, it's possible we could see The Miz walk out WWE Champion by year's end.

Finn Balor vs. Baron Corbin
   Even with Corbin's somewhat amusing Constable character, he still bores me to tears and I don't care about anything he does.  Sadly, it makes even a match with an amazing talent like Finn Balor come off boring.  Will Balor bring out the Demon tomorrow night?  Perhaps!  Then again, wrestling logic tells me that since Balor won the last match, Corbin will win this one and that's my prediction.  I frankly don't care about this feud whatsoever!

Intercontinental Title - Dolph Ziggler vs. Seth Rollins
   The rivalry between these two have produced some great matches.  Of course, Dolph has had Drew McIntyre by his side every step of the way.  However, Rollins upped the ante on Monday when he brought in former Shield brother Dean Ambrose as his backup.  Ambrose came back looking jacked, almost like Dean Ambrose ate Dean Ambrose, exciting the Raw crowd to end the show Monday night.  While my prediction is that Ziggler retains, the reasoning is contrary to what many fans are thinking.  Many believe Ambrose will turn on Rollins, which is a real possibility.  However, I'm thinking that will be for another time.  I've heard rumors also about Ambrose and Rollins being involved in a tag team match at Hell In a Cell, likely against Ziggler and McIntyre.  Once again, my prediction, much like that of my talk of the B Team retaining, will be further explained as I go on.

Smackdown Women's Title Triple Threat Match - Carmella vs. Becky Lynch vs. Charlotte Flair
   Originally, this was supposed to be one on one between Carmella and Becky.  However, when Charlotte returned, she defeated Carmella in a match, causing Smackdown GM Paige to add her to the match.  I strongly dislike Charlotte being added here because I really think Becky deserves her moment.  Since we do have Charlotte involved, I'll deal with it, as Flair is an amazing talent.  Even though Carmella will try to do whatever it takes and Charlotte winning is a strong possibility, I'm still going with my heart here.  I predict Becky Lynch will win the Smackdown Women's Championship.  Here's how I see it playing out further should my prediction come true.  Becky pins Champion Carmella to get it done at SummerSlam.  Carmella exercises her rematch clause for a one on one Title match with Becky at Hell In a Cell while Charlotte faces another opponent or opponents to gain number one contendership once again.  I have Becky retaining over Charlotte at Evolution, with Charlotte turning heel directly after the match.  They'll be on opposite teams at the Survivor Series, and eventually Charlotte will win the Title from Becky, hopefully at the 2019 Royal Rumble, giving Becky a decent reign.

Raw Women's Title - Alexa Bliss vs. Ronda Rousey 
   This is Ronda's second Title shot.  During her first Title match with Nia Jax at Money In the Bank, after taking so much punishment from Nia, it looked like Ronda was about to come back and win.  Bliss entered and nailed Ronda with her Money In the Bank briefcase she obtained earlier in the night to cause a disqualification.  Bliss used the briefcase on Ronda again as well as on Champion Nia Jax.  Little Miss Bliss then cashed in to become the new Raw Women's Title.  Ronda was so angry that she destroyed Bliss, several officials, and even Raw GM Kurt Angle the next night on Raw, getting herself suspended.  The line was crossed for her when Bliss refereed to Ronda as an over-hyped rookie.  Since then, Nia got her rematch with Bliss but lost.  I originally had an idea for some kind of double turn where Stephanie McMahon gets involved and helps Ronda in a swerve to make her the new Corporate Champion.  There's still a strong possibility that Ronda will walk out with the Title.  However, my prediction is for Alexa to retain.  It's either going to be a non-finish or some kind of disqualification because I don't think Ronda's getting the Title yet.  A week ago, I would have said that Natalya would cost Ronda the Title.  However, with the recent death of Jim "The Anvil" Neidhart, I don't think that's the route they will go.  It's possible that we'll see Ronda take the Title at Evolution, though.  Either way, I think next year's WrestleMania will feature Ronda Rousey vs. Charlotte Flair in possibly the show's main event.  By hook or by crook tomorrow, Alexa is walking out with the Championship.

WWE Title - AJ Styles vs. Samoa Joe
   I've really enjoyed AJ's second reign as WWE Champion but if ever there was a legit threat to his Title, look no further than Samoa Joe.  Not only has Joe attacked AJ several times physically, it's the verbal attacks that have done the most damage, most notably bringing up AJ's family.  Joe is a no-nonsense competitor and will do what it takes to become Champion.  Though I can see Joe winning, I'm picking AJ for now.  Joe will win but I think that day comes next month in a Hell In a Cell match.  This is probably the match I'm looking forward to the most.

Universal Title - Brock Lesnar vs. Roman Reigns
   Even the amazing work of Paul Heyman hasn't gotten me into this match.  I'm tired of seeing it and I'm really tired of seeing, or not seeing for that matter, Brock holding the Title.  In my timeline, Reigns defeated Lesnar for the Title a few months ago at WrestleMania and this is the rematch.  No matter how or why it gets done, there is nothing that stops Reigns from winning finally.  Here's how I see it going down, as has been rumored.  However, mine has a twist.  There's a theory Reigns wins and Brock gets pissed and attacks him after the match, causing Rollins and Ambrose to show up and reform The Shield.  While a Reigns win and reforming The Shield are also my predictions, here's where it differs.  I see Reigns winning with help from The Shield and all turning heel together.  The extra twist here is that it will all be done as Paul Heyman turns on Brock and is the new advocate for The Shield.  The next order of business will be the next night on Raw when Rollins and Ambrose destroy the B Team to win the Raw Tag Team Titles.  No matter which way it goes down, however, my predicted winner is Roman Reigns. 




 If you have any further thoughts on this topic, let me know in comments.  Heck, let us all know on The WAR Report podcast, every Tuesday at 7PM EST on YouTube, brought to you by tagmeadate.com, the first and only dating site for wrestling fans.  Go to askthewarreport@gmail.com or #askthewarreport.  For TagMeADate members, our Android and Apple apps are vastly approaching so stay tuned!
https://tagmeadate.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment