Sunday, March 25, 2018

Another Take On Lesnar vs. Reigns


   Since the moment Brock Lesnar captured the Universal Title from Goldberg at last year's WrestleMania, most fans were pretty sure that this year would feature the rematch between Lesnar and Roman Reigns.  In that time, there has been a lot of talk about it and it seems there are two sides of how people feel.  Of course, there are those that are in an uproar about it and are making memes like "not my main event."  On the contrary, there are many who are very excited about this match and understand the main stream appeal it has.  However, I have realized there is another way to feel about this match and that is...indifference!

   That's exactly how I feel about this match!  I don't feel strongly either way but I am completely indifferent towards it!  I frankly just don't care enough about the match to even be upset because there's really nothing to be upset about.  People have different opinions but for some reason, different opinions starts fights instead of polite discussion and debate because many don't know how to handle people with different opinions.  

   I'm going to address the hatred for this match first.  I think one of the reasons why fans don't want to see this match or are angry that it's taking place is that it has been pretty much a given for a year. People have known this match was going down for so long that they got sick of it before it even happens.  Yet somehow, the opposite affect is taking place for the upcoming AJ Styles vs. Shinsuke Nakamura match.  That has also been rumored for as long, yet no one has a problem with it.  I personally think it should main event WrestleMania but that has nothing to do with how I feel about Lesnar vs. Reigns, even if I was one of those people that are hating it just to hate.  For me, it's more so about preserving the tradition of the Royal Rumble winner being in WrestleMania's main event.

   Another reason why people may hate this match is their hatred for the individual performers. Roman Reigns got booed when he won the 2015 Royal Rumble, which is exactly why I didn't want him to win it.  I liked Reigns and knew he would get booed so I felt he didn't deserve the backlash he was about to receive, and has since then.  Many fans have come together since then, and even slightly before then, to hate everything about Reigns, claiming he's been shoved down people's throats, even though he hasn't touched a World Title in almost two years.  There may also be people that can't stand Lesnar either.  Some fans also don't understand why this is considered a big match.  It has the mainstream appeal Vince McMahon is looking for in a WrestleMania match, or even a WWE match in general. 

   In fairness, I should also address those that can't wait for this match.  I may be indifferent towards it and even if I hated it, it would not give me the right to chastise those that are excited for it.  Believe it or not, there are people that want to see this match, with some even thinking it could be the match of the night.  Who am I to put this set of fans down because their opinion is different?  Who are you to do the same?  Since we didn't get a definitive winner the last time, it gives people more of a motivation to see it so we can determine a winner once and for all. 

   If I had a reason at all to hate this match subconsciously, I think have an idea of what it might be. After Reigns won the 2015 Rumble, he went on to face Brock Lesnar for the WWE Title in the main event of WrestleMania.  No problem there, as Reigns' Rumble win solidified his right to main event WrestleMania, and Lesnar by that time was the reigning Champion.  I don't use the word "defending" much, as Lesnar was barely around during his reign then, nor has he been for his year-long Universal Championship reign as of late.  

   The year before, Lesnar did the unthinkable by breaking the Undertaker's undefeated streak at WrestleMania.  While I hate that the streak ended, that's neither here nor there.  Due to Brock's win and then subsequent destroying of John Cena later that year at SummerSlam for the WWE Title, it made sense that someone should come along and defeat the man that broke the streak, almost in some way making fans feel somewhat avenged for the Undertaker's loss. Roman Reigns just happened to be that guy and whether fans liked it or not, he was about to come face to face with the Beast Incarnate. 

   It was actually a very good and physical match and I'll admit it surprised me.  Little did we know that history was about to be made.  Seth Rollins came running out mid-match to cash in his "Money In the Bank" briefcase, and left with the WWE Title to end WrestleMania.  Though that was an awesome moment that some say saved WrestleMania, I can't help but feel it screwed Reigns slightly. Reigns didn't defeat Lesnar that night.  If I was told that their inevitable rematch would happen some day, I probably wouldn't have minded it then.  Here's where the slight problem I have lies.  At last year's WrestleMania, Roman Reigns himself defeated the Undertaker, in what somewhat looked like Taker's last match, though he's seemingly about to face Cena this year.  The Undertaker suffered another loss, kind of making it pointless for Reigns to beat the man that beat the streak, since Reigns defeated the Undertaker himself.  Even if it was someone else that gave the Undertaker his second loss at WrestleMania, it would still make the Lesnar/Reigns match somewhat pointless. 

   What I'm about to say has nothing to do with how I feel, or not feel, about Brock Lesnar vs. Roman Reigns, I feel it's relevant to the situation.  While I'm not foaming at the mouth like an idiot like some fans are regarding their hatred for this match, I do feel that the wrestler about to take the Title from Lesnar almost should have been someone else.  I don't claim it should be just anyone, though!  There's one man that has had this organic rise in popularity that has been killing it in all aspects of professional wrestling these days and that it is, "The Monster Among Men" himself, Braun Strowman!  No one has been on a role quite like Braun as of late!  Again, this has nothing to do with me feeling any certain way about Reigns.  It's more about timing!  However, Braun will get his turn one day!

   There has been a lot of debate this year as to which match deserves to close the show and main event WrestleMania.  I still think the phrase "closing the show" and "main event" should be one in the same.  Some see the Undertaker's match with John Cena closing this year's show, especially since Taker's match with Reigns last year did.  Some think the main event might be the mixed tag team match of Triple H and Stephanie McMahon against Kurt Angle and the hottest new sign in a long time, Ronda Rousey.  Of course, there are fans that feel the main event will be Reigns vs. Lesnar.  After all, it is for a Title! 

   If Reigns had won this year's Royal Rumble to get a shot at Lesnar's Universal Championship, I would have no problem with this match closing the show.  However, tradition overtakes and that makes me want AJ Styles vs. Shinsuke Nakamura for the WWE Title to close.  While I expect the Styles/Nakamura match to be great, I cannot discount Lesnar/Reigns as far as entertainment, and neither should you.  The bottom line for me though, is that I just don't care one way or the other for Lesnar/Reigns.  The outcome doesn't matter to me at all!  Even if that match turns out good, which I expect it will, I still won't care one way or the other about it.  

   As good as the match might be, I don't want it to close out of fear for stupid fans hijacking yet another show.  I don't want it to be the Lesnar/Goldberg match from WrestleMania XX!  I don't want it to be the 2015 Royal Rumble!  Due to the way fans are going to react to the match, I don't think WWE should want WrestleMania to end on a sour note.  While I advocate for Styles/Nakamura to main event due to Nakamura's Rumble win, I also think it will be an excellent match where either outcome would send fans home happy.  I don't like Lesnar/Reigns, nor do I hate it.  Once again, I'm just simply indifferent.  How do you all feel about it?




  If you have any further thoughts on this topic, let me know in comments.  Heck, let us all know on The WAR Report podcast, every Tuesday at 7PM EST on YouTube, brought to you by tagmeadate.com, the first and only dating site for wrestling fans.  Go to askthewarreport@gmail.com or #askthewarreport.  For TagMeADate members, our Android and Apple apps are vastly approaching so stay tuned!
https://tagmeadate.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment