Thursday, September 27, 2018

Should Shawn Michaels Wrestle Again?

   In professional wrestling, retirements hardly stay intact.  I can't remember how many times Terry Funk has retired.  Mick Foley has come back to wrestle every once in a while.  The Undertaker is practically retired, wrestling less than a handful of times a year.  There are some wrestlers that never truly retired, even if they've been out of the limelight for quite some time.  You'll find them at independent wrestling promotions throughout the world.  My point is, retirement hardly ever sticks when it comes to wrestling.

   For the last eight years, Shawn Michaels has stuck to his promise and has thus far stayed retired.  In that time, there have been constant rumors about him lacing up the boots one more time.  Also, many fans have been clamoring for it, shouting "one more match" at the Heartbreak Kid.  The latest set of rumors, which could actually be more, are that he will be wrestling at next year's WrestleMania, if not as soon as WWE's second show in Saudi Arabia on November 2nd.  When Shawn Michaels appeared on Raw weeks ago to promote the last match ever between the Undertaker and Triple H in Australia on October 6th, he certainly teased another match, specifically when the Undertaker joined him in the ring.  Michaels mentioned that he stayed retired out of respect for his promise and to the fans but more importantly, out of respect for the Undertaker himself.  

   I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't be excited about Shawn Michaels wrestling one more time.  Rumors state he may wrestle several matches.  But to be perfectly honest, I'm not sure if he should or if I even want him to.  I'll take you back to the night Ric Flair retired, incidentally at the hands of Shawn Michaels himself at WrestleMania XXIV ten years ago.  Flair had an emotional goodbye between being inducted into the Hall of Fame the night before, his match at WrestleMania, and his incredible send off the next night on Raw.  He couldn't have asked for a better retirement than what he received.  We all thought for sure that Flair would stay retired.  Two years later, he showed up in TNA and within months, what did he do?  He wrestled!  He pretty much spit on the emotional sendoff WWE gave him.  While Michaels didn't chastise Flair for this, he did say that he wanted to be the one guy that actually retired.  That's where my opinion comes from.

   Not unlike Flair, Michaels got similar treatment on Raw the night after his career ending loss at the hands of the Undertaker.  So far, Michaels has been the one guy that stayed retired and I respect him for it.  He went out at the top of his game and while he can probably still go, I want to remember him the way he was.  Stone Cold Steve Austin went out in his prime as well, though his career ending injury was a lot more severe than Michaels.  Even so, for years after, fans wanted Austin to wrestle one more time.  Even if his neck would have allowed it, I wouldn't have wanted him to. Shawn Michaels is a legend and there is nothing that will take that away.  I'll respect him no matter what he decides but I'd honestly prefer him not to wrestle again.  It's okay that we didn't get some dream matches.

   Here's the thing!  If they are in fact leading up to yet another match between Shawn Michaels and the Undertaker, it deserves to happen at WrestleMania.  I sincerely hope, if it does happen, that it does not occur in Saudi Arabia in November, especially if it's his one and only match out of retirement.  Instead of being the referee for the Undertaker/Triple H match, he will be in Triple H's corner.  Not to be outdone, the Undertaker will have his brother Kane in his corner.  With that being said, it leads many to believe that somewhere along the line, if Michaels has multiple matches, we may see Degeneration X vs. the Brothers of Destruction.  Of course, should Michaels participate in a few matches, I hope it's more than just the Undertaker.  I'm sure there would be a line out the door of superstars wanting to wrestle Shawn Michaels.  The list would likely consist of AJ Styles, Daniel Bryan, Johnny Gargano, or any number of wrestlers.

   Please don't let my previous paragraph seem like I'm contradicting myself.  I mentioned all that out of the possibility of him wrestling again.  I still stand that he should leave his legacy be.  If he does not wrestle again, I feel like I can predict the outcome of the Undertaker/Triple H match.  I'm not talking about the winner, but rather the aftermath.  If Shawn does not wrestle, I can see the four men raise each other's arms out of respect and take a bow, similar to the way Shawn, Triple H, and the Undertaker did after the "End of An Era" match at WrestleMania XXVIII.   Just as I won't be angry if he does wrestle again, I hope at the very least people won't be angry if he doesn't.  Whatever happens, it's his decision at the end of the day.  I'd just like to point out that just because things seem like he might wrestle again, doesn't guarantee that he will.

   I'm curious to know the thoughts of others.  Are there people who agree with me and think Shawn Michaels is done?  Are there those that are chomping at the bit for him to wrestle again?  Perhaps some are indifferent?  I'm sure there are people that fall into each category when it comes to this topic. 


   

No comments:

Post a Comment