Wednesday, December 6, 2017

The F


   It's been over 15 years now since the World Wrestling Federation became World Wrestling Entertainment.  More importantly than the company names are the initials, WWF to WWE.  I remember being extremely upset when the lawsuit happened and the company name had to change.  Let's be honest, when most people hear the initials WWF, they think wrestling, not animals.  When I think WWF, I think of the classic logo.


   I still hate the initials WWE and I really never got used to them.  I feel like the World Wrestling Federation sounds a lot more prestigious than World Wrestling Entertainment.  When it comes down to it, I feel like Vince McMahon gave up too easily.  I'm all for the preservation of wildlife but I feel it was a petty lawsuit.  The two companies had the same initials for years and I don't understand why the World Wildlife Fund waited so long to all of a sudden have a problem with it.  For all the lawsuits McMahon was able to withstand, I feel like he didn't even put up a fight for this.  Although, maybe he didn't want to!  After all, Vince McMahon was always more for the entertainment aspect than wrestling itself.  At the very least, fans got a sense of humor about it.  

   Not to be outdone, McMahon is still a businessman and he thought of a great way to make fun of the situation but still capitalize.  Soon after this lawsuit ended, McMahon created the "Get the F Out" campaign.  It was very tongue-in-cheek and it was a great way to part ways with the old logo and start the new one.  If there's anything McMahon is good at, it's certainly marketing!  T-shirts were made and WWE made a lot of money on merchandise.  Only Vince McMahon could turn a loss into a win!

   I still miss the old logo and the old company name, though.  It will always hold a special place in my heart.  For a long time, I wanted the F back.  Deep down in my heart, I still do.  However, I've come to terms with it and accept WWE and World Wrestling Entertainment.  It's still the same company and the word wrestling is still there.  The history has not been forgotten.  From Bruno Samartino to Hulk Hogan to Stone Cold Steve Austin to John Cena, no one can deny the staying power of WWE.  What about you?  Do you miss the F?




If you have any further thoughts on this topic, let me know in comments.  Heck, let us all know on The WAR Report podcast, every Tuesday at 7PM EST, brought to you by tagmeadate.com, the first and only dating site for wrestling fans.  Go to askthewarreport@gmail.com or #askthewarreport.  For TagMeADate members, our Android and Apple apps are vastly approaching so stay tuned!
https://tagmeadate.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment