Wednesday, October 10, 2018

Comeback Matches For Shawn Michaels


   I was of the opinion that Shawn Michaels shouldn't and doesn't need to wrestle again based on the amazing retirement and sendoff WWE gave him.  Also, I wanted Michaels to truly be the one guy, the one wrestler that stayed retired.  At the end of the day, this is his decision and I'll support it, even if I disagree with it.  However, don't mistake my opinion for me not being excited about him wrestling again.  I know that sounds contradictory but so be it.  The little kid in me is happy about this.  Also, let's be honest; if you or I were offered whatever amount of money this is taking, we'd all do it. 

   Now that we know for sure that Shawn Michaels is coming out of retirement, I wanted to make a list of the matches he should be involved in.  I said "matches" because he's rumored to participate in up to five and frankly, as cool as Degeneration X vs. The Brothers of Destruction is, I don't want that match to be his one off, nor do I want it to be at Crown Jewel in Saudi Arabia.  With that being said, I've got five matches for HBK that I'd like to see and in the order I'd like to see them in.  The speculation as to whether he wrestles again is over so I've made peace with it and decided to be positive about it.


Degeneration X vs. Brothers of Destruction - Crown Jewel
   Before the match between Triple H and the Undertaker took place at Super Showdown, hints were already placed for Shawn Michaels' return.  He seconded Triple H to the ring while the Undertaker had his brother Kane in his corner.  After the match, a show of mutual respect was shown between all four men.  However, the Brothers of Destruction soon turned on Triple H and Michaels.  The latter showed up on Raw soon after to reform Degeneration X and challenge the brothers to a match at Crown Jewel on November 2.  This is a match I've always wanted to see and I'm surprised it is happening in 2018 of all years.  It would actually be fitting if this was inside Hell In a Cell, although we just saw that Pay-Per-View last month.  This will likely lead to another one on one match between Michaels and the Undertaker.  As for the result, I believe the Brothers of Destruction should take the victory.


Shawn Michaels vs. Undertaker - Survivor Series
   You're going to think I'm crazy for suggesting that a WrestleMania worthy match should take place at the Survivor Series.  Well, I've got my reasons.  For one thing, these two already fought at two WrestleManias, one of which led to Shawn's career ending.  Secondly, there's other matches I and other fans would like to see Shawn Michaels involved in that could use the WrestleMania treatment.  Thirdly, I feel the Undertaker should retire and believe he wants Michaels to be the one to do it.  Even though the Undertaker had an amazing WrestleMania streak, how fitting would it be for his last match to be at the event where he made his debut, the Survivor Series?  In case you haven't guessed, I have Michaels winning this match.


Shawn Michaels vs. Johnny Gargano - NXT Takeover: Phoenix
   Shawn Michaels is one of the most well respected legends in the business.  These days, he is helping out the next generation in NXT's Performance Center, giving back.  One of the wrestlers who has been influenced by Shawn Michaels is Johnny Gargano.  At the Performance Center, Michaels has helped Gargano with his progress, among other things.  This match could be monumental for someone like Gargano, as well as for NXT as a whole.  A main roster star would be big enough to for a Takeover but a legend like Michaels would take it to another level.  Having a superstar of this magnitude wrestling at an NXT event would be amazing.  While there are many other talented individuals down in NXT that could use the rub, it would mean more if his opponent was Johnny Wrestling.  Win or lose, Gargano would gain from this match.  However, I think Gargano should pick up the win, as the momentum could lead to finally defeating Tomasso Ciampa at Takeover the night before WrestleMania to become the NXT Champion.


Shawn Michaels vs. Daniel Bryan - Elimination Chamber
   Another wrestler that has been largely influenced by Shawn Michaels is Daniel Bryan.  Michaels and William Regal are responsible for training Daniel Bryan.  Bryan wrestled Regal in 2010 but has not faced Michaels.  In fact, when NXT was in it's infancy, Michaels retired from the ring.  Similar to Michaels, Daniel Bryan made a return to the ring after a long absence and injury.  He came back at this past WrestleMania and has since been wrestling great matches on the Smackdown brand. Michaels and Bryan could put on a show.  Although I consider this match important, there is one match I will put above the rest as Michaels' final five within this short return.  While Bryan could certainly benefit from a win, I have Michaels going over here, perhaps with some unwanted assistance by The Miz during the match, leading to a Miz/Bryan blow off match at WrestleMania.


Shawn Michaels vs. AJ Styles - WrestleMania XXXV
   If ever there was a dream match, this is it!  Even if it will be between a 53-year-old Michaels and a 41-year-old Styles, this is certainly worthy of a WrestleMania.  This is a match for the ages, which is why I chose this as Michaels' WrestleMania match over the Undertaker, with whom he already had two WrestleMania matches.  This is a match many have wanted to see and there is a strong possibility we could see it happen next year.  It also excites me because I will be in attendance for the event.  I'd have AJ take the win here in an epic battle.  Are there any other matches you would like to see when it comes to Shawn Michaels?  I'm sure superstars are lining up for the chance to take on HB Shizzle.  




 If you have any further thoughts on this topic, let me know in comments.  Heck, let us all know on The WAR Report podcast, every Tuesday at 7PM EST on YouTube, brought to you by tagmeadate.com, the first and only dating site for wrestling fans.  Go to askthewarreport@gmail.com or #askthewarreport.  For TagMeADate members, our Android and Apple apps are vastly approaching so stay tuned!
https://tagmeadate.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment