Saturday, October 27, 2018

Evolution - Predictions vs. How I Would Have Booked It


Image result for wwe evolution poster
   Before the announcement was made, and even just reading rumors, there was a time when I was excited about the upcoming first time ever all women's WWE Pay-Per-View, Evolution.  It diminished slightly when WWE made the announcement of a match between Trish Stratus and Alexa Bliss.  Alexa's fine and all, but she's not as good as people make her out to be.  To be fair, she's also not as bad as people make her out to be.  However, there are many others I would have chosen to go head to head with Trish.  Soon after, WWE announced Lita vs. Mickie James.  I thought that was fine because it was between two performers that can go, though we've seen if before.  At some point, they merged these matches into a tag team encounter, which improved it.  However, the Trish/Alexa match announcement was still okay with me and definitely not a deal breaker.

   An awful rumor started soon after and until it was made official, I didn't want to believe it, nor did I take it as gospel.  Of course, I'm referring to the likely main event of the show, Ronda Rousey vs. Nikki Bella for the Raw Women's Championship!  On what planet does that sound like a good match to anyone?  In what way does Nikki Bella deserve to main event this show, compete for a Championship, or be presented as a potential threat to Ronda Rousey?  Some argue that Nikki is WWE's most well-known female competitor other than Ronda and that her star power is why she is there.  I'm sorry, I think the media, and specifically, WWE's media are making her out to be more famous than she actually is.  In that respect, Ronda's notoriety absolutely demolishes Nikki's.  WWE likes to spin Nikki and her sister Brie, the Bella Twins, as the reason for the women's revolution and evolution.  That might be true, but for the wrong reasons.  They were the antithesis of the women's evolution.  They represent everything that was wrong with women's wrestling in years gone by.  Even if we forgive all that, how in wrestling logic does it make sense for Nikki to receive a Title shot?  Just because she turned on the person that happens to be Champion?  How does that make sense!  There are much more deserving women in my opinion to get this match.  The only way I'm okay with this is either if it's a two-minute squash or Karma comes back for one night only and attacks the Bellas, comeuppance after all these years.

   Then you have a throw away six-woman tag team match pitting the Riot Squad against Sasha Banks, Bayley, and Natalya.  I feel like we've seen forms of this match on Raw for the last six months!  Don't get me started on the Battle Royal!  I'm not against it and unlike the one at WrestleMania, this one at least gives you a future Title shot instead of a trophy that looks like female organs.  I get that it's happening so they can fit in everyone on the card.  However, it's the fact that Asuka of all people is in it.  How does Asuka not have her own specialty match?  Unless she's winning this, which can make it okay.  Even with a Title shot, I still feel like Asuka needs to be showcased better.  Honestly, WWE's just about ruined her since coming from NXT.

   That's not to say that the entire thing sounds horrible.  First of all, we've got the Mae Young Classic finals between Io Sharai and Toni Storm, which I think will blow every other match out of the water.  We've got the rematch for the NXT Women's Championship between Kairi Sane and Shayna Baszler to look forward to.  We may possibly see the UK Women's Championship be decided between inaugural Champion Rhea Ripley and another.  Also, despite WWE's nonsensical spin of Becky Lynch as a heel, she will be defending the Smackdown Women's Title against Charlotte Flair in a Last Woman Standing Match, which by the way is not the first.  I guess WWE is just going to ignore Asuka vs. Nikki Cross.  Does it not count because it happened in NXT?  Last I checked, NXT is part of WWE!  Even so, the match will be good.  There's enough to be positive about and I'll still watch it.  I just feel like they didn't put as much effort in as they could have.

PREDICTIONS

NXT UK Women's Title - Rhea Ripley vs. ?
   This one is hard to predict because no one really knows who Rhea's opponent it.  The NXT tapings that took place in August featured a tournament for the new NXT UK Women's Championship, which was won by Rhea Ripley.  However, those tapings have yet to air.  I think many people don't even know there is an NXT UK Women's Champion.  I've read rumors about her opponent being Isla Dawn, Killer Kelly, and several others.  Either way, I'm going with Rhea to retain considering she just won the Title.  No matter her opponent, this match will be good.  Her change in character from last year's Mae Young Classic to this year's has changed drastically and for the better.  She's a great wrestler, is a bad ass, and just looks like a star.

Six-Woman Tag Team Match - Riot Squad vs. Sasha Banks, Bayley, & Natalya
  Haven't we seen this on Raw?  It sure feels like it!  We've had basically every combination of babyface women against the Riot Squad on Raw since they arrived a year ago.  It should be okay but it's certainly nothing to get excited about.  I don't honestly care who wins.  I'll pick Sasha, Bayley, and Nattie just to keep the crowd happy.

NXT Women's Title - Kairi Sane vs. Shayna Baszler
   This is now the forth match in their storied feud.  Of course, we all remember Kairi defeating Shayna to win the inaugural Mae Young Classic.  Shayna defeated Kairi on NXT television this year and at NXT Takeover: Brooklyn IV, Kairi defeated Shayna to become the NXT Women's Champion.  I was actually surprised by Kairi's win at Takeover, as I thought she'd come up short but then win at Evolution, followed by retaining against Shayna at War Games.  I've enjoyed the feud and certainly both can bring it in the ring.  I've got Kairi retaining, while Shayna goes up to either Raw or Smackdown in the near future.  While I'm usually skeptical about a call-up, considering how they've treated Asuka and had absolutely no plans for Ember Moon, I have high hopes for Shayna and I believe she will succeed.

Battle Royal
   This may be the obligatory battle royal to fit all the women in, but it does come with a great prize.  The winner will become number one contender for a Women's Championship in their respective brand.  This also has a mix of older wrestlers, as we'll see Ivory, Molly Holly, and Alundra Blayze, among others, in it.  I'm baffled as to how Asuka does not have a singles match on this card, which is why I'm choosing her to win here.  She needs a win badly to restore what little credibility she has left.  It should be fairly fun but ultimately, it's another match I care little for.

Mae Young Classic Finals - Toni Storm vs. Io Sharai
   As I stated before, I believe this match will steal the show.  Both women are incredible wrestlers and have put on great performances during the tournament.  Toni Storm's match with Meiko Satomura in the semi-finals was one of the most amazing matches I've ever seen, not just in the women's division but wrestling in general.  I'd be happy with either one winning and no matter the outcome, the fans are the real winners.  Io is already signed with NXT, as well as Storm, who has been reported to be on the NXT UK brand.  I could see this being Io's tournament to win, with a future storyline and Title opportunity against her real life best friend, Kairi Sane.  However, I really think it's Toni's time.  It's also amazing to note that she is just 22 years old and is one of the best wrestlers in the entire company, including all brands.

Trish Stratus & Lita vs. Alexa Bliss & Mickie James
   I went over this match earlier.  It doesn't do much for me, to be honest.  It's nice for Mickie James to be featured but I would have chosen other opponents for Team Bestie.  Not only that, we don't know for sure of Alexa will be cleared to wrestle, as she recently received a concussion.  Just in case, WWE has Alicia Fox ready to step in.  At the very least, her possible participation was at least explained in the story.  I think her inclusion makes the match less appealing, though.  I've got Trish and Lita going over here, as Mickie could take the fall.  However, if Alexa does not wrestler, I see Alicia taking the fall.

Smackdown Women's Title - Last Woman Standing Match - Becky Lynch vs. Charlotte Flair
   For the life of me, I don't understand why WWE insists on painting Becky as the heel in the situation.  The fans refuse to boo her, no matter what she does!  Just go with it!  Besides, Charlotte works a lot better in the heel role.  I've heard Ric Flair may get involved in this match.  The result is up in the air to me.  My heart of hearts wants Becky to retain and move on.  However, based on WWE's track record and the fact that Becky has a jaw injury, it's possible Charlotte could win.  Bottom line, I'm choosing Becky whether that's realistic or not.  Rumors have been swirling since her debut that Ronda Rousey would be meeting Charlotte, likely the Royal Rumble winner, at next year's WrestleMania, possibly even in the main event.  That tells me Becky will retain.  However, it's possible we could see some kind of unification match between the two.  In that scenario, it kind of screws Becky.  On a side note, WWE is spinning this as their first ever Last Woman Standing Match when it is not.  That accolade goes to Asuka vs. Nikki Cross in NXT.

Raw Women's Title - Ronda Rousey vs. Nikki Bella
   This match makes me want to vomit!  Nikki does not deserve a Title shot, the main event, or an interaction and match with Ronda Rousey.  Ronda is a star and WWE still claims Nikki is too.  I'm not saying Nikki and Brie aren't famous, but their star power is nowhere near Ronda's.  In her short time, Ronda, while a little green, is already better than Brie and at the very least on Nikki's level in the ring.  I understand Nikki is much better than she used to be, but that's not saying much.  She is the last person I thought should be Ronda's opponent at Evolution!  As for the winner, it has to be Ronda.  I know eventually Ronda must lose but Nikki is not and should not be the one to beat her.  In a perfect world, either Charlotte or Asuka will do the honors.  This match should be an absolute squash.  I don't care how much Nikki has improved!  It's bad enough they had Ronda sell a ridiculous amount for Alexa.  Even though I think it's still too early for Ronda to be Champion, that is the reality and as long as she's Champion, she should not be humanized just yet.  Nia Jax took Ronda to her limit but that was at least believable!  At the end of the day, I've got Ronda with the win.  You make call me full of it if you want but I will not be watching this match.  I'm turning off Evolution before this takes place because of how upset I am it's taking place.  I did the same for WrestleMania XXXIII, as I did not want to see the Undertaker lose again at WrestleMania.  To this day, I have not seen and refuse to watch the Undertaker vs. Roman Reigns and I'm setting myself up for the same for this match.  I'll wait until I read the results and if the result is something I'd enjoy, I'll eventually watch it.

HOW I WOULD BOOK IT

   Much like a former member of What Culture Wrestling, this is how I would book it...because I'm a smart ass!  I'll start from the bottom up.  My idea is somewhat in sync with WWE's in that there is going to be a mix of older superstars and current ones, as well as ones making names for themselves.  The "Evolution" is having superstars of the past against superstars right now, while the future superstars fight their way through and show the fans what they're all about.

MATCHES I'D KEEP THE SAME
Smackdown Women's Title Last Woman Standing Match - Becky Lynch vs. Charlotte Flair
(winner: Becky Lynch)

NXT Women's Title - Kairi Sane vs. Shayna Baszler
(winner: Kairi Sane)

UK Women's Title (if it happens) - Rhea Ripley vs. TBA
(winner: Rhea Ripley)

Mae Young Classic Finals - Toni Storm vs. Io Sharai
(winner: Toni Storm)

Women's Battle Royal - The only difference here is that Asuka will not be in it
(winner: Ember Moon)

Bella Twins vs. The Iconics
   As you could obviously tell, this means Nikki Bella would not be in the main event with Ronda Rousey.  I would have kept the Bellas babyface and specifically on Smackdown, since Brie had been having issues with Maryse, stemming from a feud between their husbands, Daniel Bryan and The Miz, respectively.  My set up would be The Iconics getting involved in the one on one contest between Brie and Maryse and cost Brie the match.  It makes perfect sense for the new girls on the block to go toe to toe with the original mean girls, the Bella Twins.  I'd have The Iconics go over.

Trish Stratus & Lita vs. Sasha Banks & Bayley 
   Sasha and Bayley were a big part of the women's evolution and I'd take them any day over any combination of Alexa Bliss, Mickie James, and Alicia Fox.  If any two women were more deserving to face Trish and Lita, it's Sasha and Bayley.  I thought about possibly putting Mickie James with Trish and Lita and adding Ember Moon to the other team but I'm going with this tag team match.  Sasha and Bayley grew up watching Trish and Lita so it seems like the natural progression for them to wrestle their heroes.

Asuka vs.  Beth Phoenix
   Asuka is someone that should be pushed more prominently than she is.  She was undefeated for so long and since losing to Charlotte Flair at WrestleMania, she hasn't quite been the same.  She's lost to Carmella and made to look like a fool twice since then, she went away for a short time, and is now somehow tag team partners and best friends with Naomi in a throw-away feud with The Iconics.  In order to establish her dominance again, who better to be her opponent and push her to the limit than the Glamazon herself, Beth Phoenix.  I think Beth will be on commentary as she's been for this year's Mae Young Classic but judging by her performance in the Royal Rumble this year, it's clear she can still go.  This would be another incredible passing of the torch.

Raw Women's Title - Ronda Rousey vs. Natalya
   For this Pay-Per-View, my main event would be Becky vs. Charlotte, considering the magnitude of their feud.  I think it even takes precedence over something like Ronda's star power.  However, this match would be just before the main event.  I can't think of a more deserving person to have a match with Ronda than Natalya.  Nattie helped train Ronda in the ring and has a legitimate friendship with her outside the ring.  They both could even dedicate their match to Nattie's recently late father, Jim "The Anvil" Neidhart.  Natalya getting a Title shot would be great.  No matter who her opponent is, I'd still have Ronda win, but losing to Ronda doesn't exactly ruin one's reputation.  It's also been long rumored for Natalya to turn on Ronda, which could stem from this.  In fact, to justify it's status as deserving of the main event, the turn could have already happened.

   Overall, I basically made some minor changes.  My only complaints were Nikki in the main event, wanting better opponents for Trish and Lita, and to have Asuka featured in a singles match away from the Battle Royal.  The rest, as I said, could stay exactly the same.  This is just how I myself would book Evolution.  I also thought about Ronda facing Beth Phoenix while Asuka faces recent MYC standout, Meiko Satomura.  I'm just not as excited about this as I should be. 

No comments:

Post a Comment