Saturday, January 27, 2018

Takeover: Philadelphia Predictions


   It's Royal Rumble weekend and tonight it starts with NXT Takeover: Philadelphia.  I thought I'd share some of my thoughts and predictions about tonight's festivities.  It looks like a pretty good card and it's rare that the Takeover specials disappoint.  I almost would have preferred a mini NXT Royal Rumble match but with there already being two Rumble matches, I understand why there isn't one.  I have a feeling there will be some things happening tonight that will directly affect the Takeover show during WrestleMania weekend in New Orleans.

The Velveteen Dream vs. Kassius Ohno

   Although I was not a fan of the character of The Velveteen Dream, I came to at least appreciate his performances.  That said, his match with Aleister Black at Takeover: War Games was incredible!  I believe he gained so much from the match, even more so in a loss. For the former Patrick Clarke, it wasn't about winning the match, it was about respect and Dream's ego's need for Black to say his name.  In the end, Dream got what he wanted, as not only did he get Black to say his name, it looked like in that moment he gained Black's respect.  He shut critics up, including myself.  I have no doubt his match with Kassius Ohno will be entertaining.  Ohno has seemingly become NXT's new resident gatekeeper.  He was the first credible challenge for the rising monster Lars Sullivan and I think he'll do the same tonight.  Ohno, formerly Chris Hero, has always been a good hand in the ring.  Dream, although in his early 20's, has already shown great skill and it's only going to improve.  I think The Velveteen Dream comes away the winner but the real winners are the fans who get to watch it.

NXT Tag Team Titles - Undisputed Era vs. Authors of Pain
   This is really a toss-up, to be honest.  Going back to Takeover: Brooklyn III, I never expected AOP to lose their Titles.  Since then, the men who took them, Sanity, have dropped the belts to the Undisputed Era's Kyle O'Reilly and Bobby Fish.  Together in Ring of Honor, those two were known as Redragon and were multiple time Tag Team Champions.  While the Authors are much bigger and stronger, they also have a wrestling genius like Paul Ellering by their side.  However, the UE also have Adam Cole bay-bay!  I can see AOP getting the Titles back but my pick is the Undisputed Era.  Part of the reason is because UE just won the Titles.  Also, I have a strong feeling we may see the Authors of Pain on the main roster between now and the next Draft/Shakeup shortly after WrestleMania.  Both teams have chemistry, evidenced by their clash at War Games.  It should be a fun, hard-hitting match.

NXT Women's Title - Ember Moon vs. Shayna Baszler

    After finally reaching her destiny to become the NXT Women's Champion, Ember Moon is the driving force of the women's division in NXT.  She came the closest out of anyone to dethrone Asuka, but didn't quite get there.  After Asuka relinquished the Title upon going to Raw, Moon won the Title in a great Fatal Fourway, hitting an incredible double Eclipse to become Champion.  One of those other participants was Mae Young Classic winner Kairi Sane.  Enter Shayna Baszler!  With the imminent debut of Ronda Rousey, her fellow MMA Four Horsewoman Baszler is sure to make a splash in NXT. Baszler attacked Kairi Sane after nearly breaking the arm of Dakota Kai.  Baszler, still clearly upset about her Mae Young Classic finals loss to Sane, wanted to make an immediate impact.  It got the attention of new Champion Ember Moon and now we have a Championship match.  Although I can see Baszler potentially winning the NXT Women's Title, I'm sticking with Moon as my pick.  I feel it would be an injustice to take the Title from her just after her incredible and deserving win.  Baszler will have her time.  I can actually see Baszler in a match with Kairi Sane at Takeover: New Orleans, while Ember Moon takes on a new challenger.  In the event of a Baszler win, it wouldn't be too surprising to see Ember Moon appear in tomorrow night's women's Royal Rumble match.

Extreme Rules Match - Adam Cole vs. Aleister Black
   If there's a match I'm really looking forward to on this card, this is it! I feel like there's a lot riding on this match. Cole and his Undisputed Era cohorts recently cost Black a shot at the NXT Championship. After all, Black defeated Cole to get into that match in the first place.  Not only did Cole cost Black a Title opportunity, he took away Black's undefeated streak.  I can see both men pulling out all the stops and I predict it will be the match of the night.   It can go either way but my gut feeling is that Aleister Black will be victorious.  Of course, where he goes afterward is hard to predict, as it may depend on the outcome of the NXT Championship Match.  There will surely be interference from Fish and O'Reilly but the Dutch destroyer can certainly handle it.  Whether they face each other again or have different opponents, I think both will play big parts at Takeover: New Orleans.  

NXT Championship - Andrade "Cien" Almas vs. Johnny Gargano
   I know it's just NXT and they are essentially WWE's developmental brand, but I don't even consider Almas to be on the NXT Championship level.  I know it's just speculation but I get the feeling had it not been for Drew McIntyre's injury during his match with Almas, we wouldn't have had a new Champion.  Not to say that he hasn't improved.  His heel turn, coupled with his partnership with Zelina Vega months later, has made him a new man, a lot more focused and determined.  On the other hand, we have Rocky come to life with Johnny Gargano.  After Gargano and his DIY partner Tomasso Ciammpa lost the NXT Tag Team Titles. Ciammpa turned on his partner in a brutal attack.  Since then, although Ciammpa was out with an injury from that match, Gargano has had to fight and claw to get opportunities.  He failed to defeat Pete Dunne for the WWE United Kingdom Championship but he took The Velveteen Dream's spot to defeat Kassius Ohno and advance to a Fatal Fourway, to become number one contender to the NXT Title.  After defeating Dream just days ago, Johnny Wrestling is in for the fight of his life.
   
   There are a two ways this match may go down but both involve the same thing.  In the first Rocky film, Rocky did not win and since this is Gargano's first Title opportunity, the same might occur.  In the case of Gargano losing, which happens to be my prediction, I can see it being by the hands of a returning Tomasso Ciammpa, setting up a match to continue an exciting rivalry going into New Orleans.  Though I have chosen Almas as the winner here, I can see arguments about Gargano wining the Title as well.  If that's the case, I also think Ciammpa gets involved but he will attack during Gargano's celebration.  Either way, I think we're going to get Gargano/Ciammpa one on one during WrestleMania weekend.  Since I predict Almas to retain, I can ultimately see Aleister Black being the challenger in New Orleans in Takeover's main event, possibly taking the NXT Championship.  Of course, that might depend on how his match with Adam Cole goes.  Despite not being too high on Andrade, he's good in the ring and if his match with Gargano is anything like their match at NXT Takeover: Brooklyn III, we're in for a real treat.  

   I am so pumped about Royal Rumble weekend!  It's nice to have Takeover events the night before "The Big Four" events.  I can see a last minute match addition of Killian Dane against Lars Sullivan, as a battle of those two behemoths is bound to happen sooner or later.  I have no problem with any of these matches and I think all will be entertaining.  Though it's apples and oranges, several times in the past, I've enjoyed Takeover events more than the WWE PPV the next night.  However, with this being such an important Royal Rumble, especially due to the inclusion of a woman's Rumble match, I don't see that happening this weekend.  I hope everyone enjoys Takeover: Philadelphia tonight and stay tuned tomorrow for by Royal Rumble prediction blog.




If you have any further thoughts on this topic, let me know in comments.  Heck, let us all know on The WAR Report podcast, every Tuesday at 7PM EST, brought to you by tagmeadate.com, the first and only dating site for wrestling fans.  Go to askthewarreport@gmail.com or #askthewarreport.  For TagMeADate members, our Android and Apple apps are vastly approaching so stay tuned!
https://tagmeadate.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment