Wednesday, November 29, 2017

Complaining For the Sake of Complaining

   Something I've noticed while watching professional wrestling over the last 30 plus years is that fans love to complain.  I don't want to sound hypocritical because I can admit I've been guilty of complaining as well.  I understand and it's human nature.  However, there is a difference between complaining about something worthwhile and complaining just to complain.  There seems to have been a lot of that lately, specifically pertaining to the two new women's factions terrorizing Raw and Smackdown respectively.

   Before I get into that, let's go back a week to the Survivor Series event.  As I have mentioned in a previous blog, I found Survivor Series to be one of the best of that name in a long time and even thought it was one of the best PPV events this year period.  I found absolutely nothing wrong with it!  People complained about the possibility of Brock Lesnar vs. Jinder Mahal so they had AJ Styles win the WWF Title to change Brock's opponent and appease the fans.  They changed it and yet people still complained.  Then there were complaints about the booking of the main event and surprise surprise, complaints about Triple H.  What is this, 2004?  Believe me, there are things WWE and other promotions do that I may not agree with but never has something been enough to get me up in arms about!

   The next night on Raw, we shared a moment many fans have been waiting for for quite some time, the return of Paige.  Paige didn't come alone, however!  After interrupting a #1 contender match featuring Bayley, Sasha Banks, Mickie James, and Alicia Fox, from behind came NXT and former Tough Enough stars Mandy Rose and Sonya DeVille.  Fox was smart enough to run away while the rest were attacked by the new trio.  Later on, Paige and her cohorts set their sights on Raw Women's Champion Alexa Bliss and beat the Goddess senseless!  
  
   I thought it was great and exciting!  What happened next with fans?  Complaints!  People were complaining about the pop Paige got, or lack there of.  People complained it wasn't the right set of women.  People complained it should have been done differently.  Again, I've been guilty of complaining but I never let a single thing in wrestling ruin my day.  

   The next night on Smackdown, we got another NXT trio in the form of Ruby Riot, Liv Morgan, and Sarah Logan, who attacked Naomi and Becky Lynch baskstage.  Later on, they took out Natalya and Smackdown Women's Champion Charlotte Flair during their match.  Again, I thought, wow, this is pretty cool!  The complaint I was about to see honestly didn't even dawn on me.  Someone created a meme pointing out the similarities between the two factions and the rest joined in to complain about it.  Frankly, I hadn't noticed at all!  Secondly, who cares?  

   This also led to a separate complaint about how the women in wrestling aren't as attractive anymore, which is one of the most ridiculous and chauvinist things I've ever heard!  This is 2017 and things have changed!  I'd like to think people have changed enough where a thought so shallow would not be commonplace.  Yet here we are!  Even as a teenager during the Attitude Era, I didn't care that much about the scantily clad women running around.  As a wrestling fan, I came to watch wrestling.  If there's talent, who care's how good they look?  It's just icing on the cake!  
   
   Look at someone like Trish Stratus.  Her lack of skill when she first started notwithstanding, she grew to become excellent in the ring.  Trish was lucky enough to be one of few women, or even wrestlers in general, that had the whole package.  She was good in the ring, on the mic, had charisma, and was beautiful to boot.  The "It Factor," if you will!  These days especially, I don't care what they look like.  The other factors are more important.  In the midst of this Women's Revolution in wrestling that has been going on, looks are the last thing I notice.  

   In a short period of barely over a week, I've seen so many complaints I've lost count!  Is it possible to be patient and watch things happen?  Can we just enjoy the ride?  Can we step off our soapboxes and away from our outdated ways of thinking long enough to simply be entertained?  I understand that wrestling fans have always and will always complain, and I've come to accept that.  However, let's try to talk about things in wrestling that make us happy!  I'm not trying to put down the act of complaining.  If you have a valid argument, I'm willing to listen.  Don't complain just for the sake of it and try not to complain too much!  I think my next blog will consist of focusing on what currently in pro wrestling I enjoy and am entertained by.  Since we're only six days removed from Thanksgiving, we can call it things in wrestling I'm thankful for.  What things in wrestling are you thankful for?




If you have any further thoughts on this topic, let me know in comments.  Heck, let us all know on The WAR Report podcast, every Tuesday at 7PM EST, brought to you by TagMeADate.com, the first and only dating site for wrestling fans.  Go to askthewarreport@gmail.com or #askthewarreport.  For TagMeADate members, our Android and Apple apps are vastly approaching so stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment