Wednesday, November 8, 2017

Fantasy Booking - Yes or No?

     For fans of any entertainment venue, specifically fictional entertainment, I'm sure many of us are guilty of fantasizing about how we would tell the story.  It's no different for professional wrestling.  The term "fantasy booking" has been around a long time.  I can admit, as a wrestling fan, there's certain things booking-wise I disagreed with during my 38 years.  I can also admit that I have and still do fantasy book wrestling stories.  It's human nature to want to change something to fit your narrative, almost comforting in a way.

     For instance, being a WWE fan, I have re-booked most pay-per-view events, title changes, and some stories.  Sometimes, it's fun to use your imagination and create a scenario you would like to have seen play out.  Oddly enough, I have a weird set of rules for my own fantasy booking that I always follow.  I don't know why, maybe it's my OCD, but there has to be an order, a rhyme and reason, for my wrestling delusions.  

Eric's Fantasy Booking Rules
1. You can't throw just anyone into a scenario, it has to make some kind of sense.

2. Deaths, injuries, and suspensions have to be worked in.  (Example - the recent TLC event, which took Roman Reigns and Bray Wyatt out of their respective matches).  
   
3. There are possible exceptions to rule # 2.  (Example - When Shawn Michaels "lost his smile," he claimed injury but speculation is he didn't want to drop the Title back to Bret Hart.)

4. If you have someone winning a title, he still needs to be in the same program he was in at the time.  You can still have your superstar win a title from whomever, but that superstar must continue or finish a program.

   By now, many of you are aware that AJ Styles is now the WWE Champion.  With that being said, I did a fantasy booking scenario where he won it at Summer Slam.  Along with that, I made sure that Jinder Mahal never became champion.  In my version, Kevin Owens was the WWE Champion instead of or in lieu of being the US Champion.  At Battelground, the match between Owens and AJ still took place, only with Owens retaining his title.  At Summer Slam, AJ wins the title from Owens and Shane McMahon is still the referee, making sure the Owens/Shane program still happens.  What I did with AJ was still up in the air and since he had a program with Baron Corbin, then AJ would defend the Title against Corbin at No Mercy, with Corbin winning the US title from whomever shortly thereafter.

    I have also done things such as increasing someone's title reign.  For instance, after Ricky "The Dragon" Steamboat defeated Ric Flair for the NWA World Title, I increased Steamboat's reign by a few months.  I also changed the direction of the Nexus storyline slightly.  In the end, I have it come crashing down by John Cena at TLC and the CM Punk takeover of Nexus as well.  However, some things changed.  For instance, not only did Team Nexus win at SummerSlam in my scenario, but Wade Barrett would be the "Money In the Bank" briefcase holder, cashing it in to become WWE Champion.  The next few Pay-Per-View matches still play out, only with Barrett winning.  At Survivor Series that year, instead of the Barrett/Orton title match with Cena as the referee, I have Barrett and Cena, the reluctant Nexus member, teaming along with other members against Orton's team.  Here, I have Cena double-cross Barrett and leave Nexus, leading into Cena defeating Barrett at TLC in a Chairs Match, only this time for the Championship.

   Again, I do this to have fun with it.  I try not to take it too seriously.  At the end of the day, it's just a storyline and if what you want didn't happen, it doesn't matter.  It's all subjective!  I am of the camp that believes the Undertaker never should have lost at WrestleMania.  However, even though that took place, I didn't lose sleep over it.  In fact, it become trivial just days later when the Ultimate Warrior passed away.  

    Basically, what I'm asking is, is it okay to fantasy book?  Is it taboo?  Of course, if you happen to be speaking with a wrestler or promoter about that type of thing, know your audience and understand that they may disagree with you.  What I mean by that is don't tell Vince McMahon or any promoter how to do their jobs.  Keep it friendly, folks!  For those of you reading, thank you!


No comments:

Post a Comment