Monday, November 20, 2017

Survivor Series Weekend Thoughts

Quick diatribe: I have a problem with the use of the word sole when it comes to Survivor Series.  If there is more than one survivor, you cannot use the term sole.  Sole refers to ONE!  Saying sole survivors (plural) does not make sense and I can't stand it when people do it, especially when WWE does it!  Also, it's sole and not soul!  Pardon me, just had to get that off my chest!  3-2-1.  1-2-3.  What the heck is bothering me?  There, I feel better now!


SURVIVOR SERIES WEEKEND

   WOW!  That word pretty much sums up this past Survivor Series weekend!  Both shows were great from top to bottom.  I have very little or possibly even no complaints.  I'm separating the two for a second.  Takeover: War Games was great!  Generally, NXT and the Takeover specials always come through.  As for Survivor Series, this was one of the best Survivor Series PPV's in a long time.  The card really shaped up to be amazing due to all the last minute changes and every match delivered.   I'd actually put it up there with any WWE PPV this year!  It makes me feel good because the Survivor Series holds a very special place in my heart, and it was nice to see it rise back to being rightfully included in the "Big Four."

NXT TAKEOVER: WAR GAMES

   Takeover always delivers and this one was no different!  Even when the NXT roster got purged in the last year or two, they still find a way to put on an amazing show.  I always have high expectations for Takeover and I'm almost never disappointed.  This one was special because this was the first time WWE ever did a War Games match.  It's something we fans have dreamed about for so long.  We haven't seen a War Games match in a long time.  

LARS SULLIVAN VS. KASSIUS OHNO   
   This match did what it was supposed to do, make Lars Sullivan look unstoppable!  Sure, it wasn't a technical masterpiece but it served a purpose.  Someday, there will be someone who can match up with Sullivan power-wise and that day will be an exciting one.  Kassius "I wish his name was still Chris Hero" Ohno was a great first real test for Sullivan.  Sullivan doesn't do much for me but I've been proven wrong.  Two years ago, I never thought Braun Strowman would be anything more than a generic big man.  My, how that all has changed!  Sullivan surprised me with some agility I hadn't seen previously.

ALEISTER BLACK VS. THE VELVETEEN DREAM
   From top to bottom, this match made both guys.  I actually think it did more for Dream, even in a losing effort.  Both men put on a showcase!  Usually, there's one match that people consider match of the night but for this event, I couldn't choose!  I'm not really a fan of the character of The Velveteen Dream but I'll give credit where credit is due.  The former Patrick Clark put on a show in the ring.  I really liked when Black would come back with his own mind games.  Aleister Black is awesome!  He comes off as such a bad ass and I love everything about the character.  This match delivered big time and there's a bright future for both.

EMBER MOON VS. NIKKI CROSS VS. PEYTON ROYCE VS. KAIRI SANE
   Where do I begin?  Ever since Asuka gave up the NXT Women's Title in the midst of her undefeated streak to ply her craft on Raw, fans have been chomping at the bit to see a new champion crowned.  Kairi Sane impressed many by winning the Mae Young Classic so she deserved a spot.  Ember Moon came the closest anyone has to defeating Asuka so she deserved a spot.  Nikki Cross is a fierce competitor and a dynamic character.  Peyton Royce is quite entertaining and it was nice to see one half of "The Iconic Duo" in contention.   All four women proved why women's wrestling belongs!  It was action packed and everyone played their part well.  I enjoyed Peyton's entrance where she said goodbye to Billie Kay and changed gears to focus on the task at hand.  Ember Moon hitting that double Eclipse at the end was a sight to behold.  It was emotional seeing Ember finally take the Championship and even more so when it was presented to her by the Empress of Tomorrow herself.  It was truly a special moment!

NXT CHAMPIONSHIP - DREW MCINTYRE VS. ANDRADE "CIEN" ALMAS
   I had mixed feelings on the result of this match until I understood everything that went down.  The match itself certainly didn't disappoint and I had no reason to believe it would.  Both men can go.  I feel Drew is more than worthy to jump back up to Raw or Smackdown.  Almas has really turned things around.  His heel turn, and especially the addition of Zelina Vega, helped him tremendously.  I still don't see him on the NXT Championship level but that's neither here nor there.  I'll admit I was angry about the result at first.  Then I thought one of two things; either Drew is injured or he's bound for greener pastures.  It turns out, Drew was injured.  I wish him a speedy recovery!  For Almas, I'll hold my judgment until I see what he brings to the table during his reign.


WAR GAMES: UNDISPUTED ERA VS. SANITY VS. AUTHORS OF PAIN & RODERICK STRONG
   To see War Games finally appear in the WWE environment was a dream come true.  While I would have preferred to see a top to the cage because I'm a traditionalist, I understand why there wasn't one.  And boy, are they obsessed with shark cages?  Back to the matter at hand, this match was incredible!  The booking was great, seeing the Undisputed Era get the first numbers advantage.  When the rest of Sanity finally made it in, I knew we were in for something special.  I was confused at first why Killian Dane didn't enter until he started grabbing every weapon he could find.  Dane and Wolfe made me look at both in a whole new light.  While some may think it was cheesy, I enjoyed Roderick Strong in traditional AOP gear.  At least he wasn't smiling like Kurt Angle at TLC!  This was bloody and barbaric.  Alexander Wolfe got busted open pretty bad.  The top of the cage spot was tremendous!  All 9 men busted their ass and even though the winners of the match were the Undisputed Era, the real winners were the fans.  

SURVIVOR SERIES 2017

   Before this event began, already on paper, the card looked great.  Survivor Series has been touch and go for years.  While tradition kept it in the "Big Four," it lost its identity a long time ago.  I enjoy tradition so when the elimination matches went away for the most part or were just thrown together, it just felt like an any other PPV.  This was one of the best Survivor Series in a long time and I can't think of one thing to complain about.


KICK-OFF

MATT HARDY VS. ELIAS
   Not a bad way to kick off the show!  You already know what you're getting with Matt Hardy and Elias is really coming into his own as a character.  It builds tremendous momentum for Elias, besting a ring pro like Hardy.  Matt has always given back so the result made sense, even though I, like many, am clamoring for the lawsuit to end in his favor so he can become "Broken" once again!  

CRUISERWEIGHT TITLE - ENZO AMORE VS. KALISTO
   Much like their previous encounter, Enzo and Kalisto put on a pretty good match with a result I expected.  I still feel like they don't quite know what to do with the Cruiserweights, especially without Neville in the picture.  Enzo has filled the void with his promos, though!  Sadly, if not for the division, Enzo may not even be there.  I would have actually preferred an elimination match with the division but this match was entertaining.

KEVIN OWENS & SAMI ZAYN VS. THE FASHION POLICE (Breezango is a lazy name)
   Owens and Zayn had something to prove due to not being included in the men's elimination match as a part of Smackdown.  The story here has been progressing nicely.  Even though their later appearance was expected, I wasn't any less entertained.  They play off each other so well.  Breeze and Fandango have really taken this gimmick to something special.  Their segments are always funny and they're no slouches in the ring either.

AND SO IT BEGINS...

THE SHIELD VS. THE NEW DAY
   On paper, this match looks great.  Also on paper, The Shield takes it easily.  However, you can never count out The New Day.  I was really looking forward to this match.  The match itself obviously delivered but having a good story increases the odds of it being enjoyable.  All 6 men did an incredible job.  I was on the edge of my seat several times as it looked like The New Day had the match won at certain points.  I liked the tease of the triple power bomb until we finally did get to see it.  The Shield prevailed but The New Day certainly brought it!  Again, this was a match where the true winners were the fans.

RAW WOMEN - ALICIA FOX, SASHA BANKS, NIA JAX, ASUKA, BAYLEY
vs.
SMACKDOWN WOMEN - BECKY LYNCH, NATALYA, TAMINA, CARMELLA, NAOMI
   The women's elimination match was up next.  It had changed recently when Natalya replaced Charlotte Flair on the team due to losing the Smackdown Women's Title to the Queen herself.  Even though Becky Lynch was the team captain, Nattie sure acted like she was!  All 10 women worked well together.  Putting Asuka against any of her opponents was a treat.  It was also fun to watch Nia and Tamina face off.  I was sad to see Becky eliminated so early.  Even though I originally questioned the use of Alicia Fox in the match itself, let alone in the captain role, her being her crazy self in a captain's hat is all I needed to change my mind.  The match ended as I expected, with Asuka as the SOLE survivor.  See folks, the correct use of the word sole!

THE MIZ VS. BARON CORBIN - INTERCONTINENTAL CHAMPION VS. US CHAMPION
   This one was for bragging rights and even though it was two heels, there was certainly drama there.  Corbin started on social media, bringing Miz's other half Maryse into the mix.  The Miz fired back in a scathing promo on Corbin.  Personally, I'm not a fan of anything Baron Corbin does.  I used to be a hardcore Miz hater but I've come completely around.  It was a nice touch seeing Maryse in the crowd and the Miztourage did their job well.  I did not pick Corbin to win, but it certainly helps him.  Very good match altogether!

THE BAR VS. THE USOS - RAW CHAMPIONS VS. SMACKDOWN CHAMPIONS
   This was another match that was changed.  Originally, the Usos were set to face the Shield's Seth Rollins & Dean Ambrose.  We soon learned that The New Day's attempt at "Under Siege" part two was simply a mind game.  Rollins and Ambrose were so concerned with a Smackdown invasion that they took their eyes off the ball.  Enter Sheamus and Cesaro!  They don't just set the bar...they are the bar!  Together, these two have proved to be a force in the Raw tag team scene.  On the other hand, the Usos have the pedigree and experience.  Since adopting a more sinister attitude, the Usos have really stepped up.  Both of these teams tore the house down!  It was anyone's game and I would have been happy with either team winning.  In the end, Sheamus & Cesaro couldn't escape the Uso Penitentiary!

ALEXA BLISS VS. CHARLOTTE FLAIR - RAW CHAMPION VS. SMACKDOWN CHAMPION
   As stated earlier, this match was changed as well.  New Smackdown Women's Champion Charlotte was not what the Goddess prepared herself for.  Alexa had a chip on her shoulder, having defeated the other three Horsewomen, and she was determined to add Charlotte to the stable.  On the other hand, you can never count Charlotte out.  Both women brought their A game.  Size difference not withstanding, Little Miss Bliss didn't back down.  In the end, the daughter of the Nature Boy prevailed.  All hail the Queen!

UNIVERSAL CHAMPION BROCK LESNAR VS. WWE CHAMPION AJ STYLES
   Before I get into this match, it's important to address the elephant in the room.  It was originally going to be Lesnar vs. Jinder Mahal.  However, the Phenomenal One hindered Jinder to become the WWE Champion.  The result is a dream match becoming reality and frankly, a better fit.  Whether Jinder regains the title remains to be seen but let's face it, not many people were interested in Brock vs. Jinder.  Although, it would have been amusing to watch Brock toss around the Singh Brothers like dolls.  Everyone knows what the Beast can do in the ring and Paul Heyman will gladly tell you about it.  While AJ was deemed the underdog in this contest, he more than rose to the occasion and brought the fight to the Conqueror!  As predicted, Brock took AJ to Suplex City.  Styles fought back and had Brock reeling a few times.  Although Lesnar won the match, AJ did not lose any credibility whatsoever.

RAW - KURT ANGLE/BRAUN STROWMAN/SAMOA JOE/FINN BALOR/TRIPLE H
vs.
SHANE MCMAHON/RANDY ORTON/JOHN CENA/BOBBY ROODE/SHINSUKE NAKAMURA
   If ever there was a match who's star power was so prevalent, this was it!  You can take any combination of the 10 men involved and have incredible matches.  This match had everything and the face-offs were awesome.  The brothers-in-law faced off in Shane and Hunter.  We saw Cena and Orton get manhandled by Braun.  We saw HHH and Roode face to face, Balor and Cena, Angle and Shane,  HHH and Shinsuke, Joe and Cena, etc.  I thoroughly enjoyed the match.  Even though Owens and Zayn interfering was predicted, it added something.  I fully expected Jason Jordan to cost either the Game or Angle the match.  However, we ended up seeing HHH take out Angle.  Here's where I started seeing the complaints.  Yes, the booking is somewhat questionable and erratic, but it accomplished what it set out to.  There's a reason HHH is called the Cerebral Assassin.  However, he soon found out that you don't cross Braun Strowman.  The end saw Triple H decimated by the Monster Among Men!

   The booking would be an extremely minor complaint but overall, I enjoyed the Survivor Series a great deal and felt it was one of the better ones in recent years.  It certainly made me look forward to the fallout on Raw tonight and Smackdown tomorrow.  I also look forward to what NXT has in store for us leading into the next events.   The Survivor Series Weekend was a pleasure to watch.




If you have any further examples on the situation, let me know in comments.  Heck, let us all know on The WAR Report podcast, every Tuesday at 7PM EST, brought to you by TagMeADate.com, the first and only dating site for wrestling fans.  Go to askthewarreport@gmail.com or #askthewarreport.  For TagMeADate members, our Android and Apple apps are vastly approaching so stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment